- Offense and Defense
- Special Teams
- Blocking and Tackling
Offense and Defense
Motivational Locker Room Speech
- You have to plan it in advance (otherwise it’s a fumble—see below)
- It lasts only one day. Football teams don’t punt 2 plays in a row, and I don’t pig out 2 days in a row.
- After punting, go right back to offense or defense the next day.
- It happens. Get over it. Don’t beat yourself up.
- Get right back into whatever your game plan was for the week—offense or defense.
- The most important thing is to notice you’re at risk, so you can protect the ball.
- Ask yourself if you’re really, really going to enjoy this fumble. Why turn over the ball for a third helping of a casserole you don’t even like?
- If you notice early enough, ask your fans for help. The sooner you can do this, the better (see “hot & cold” below). I’ll sometimes say to my family, “OMG, they have a chocolate fountain over there. Please help me eat only one banana’s worth from the fountain.”
End zone Dance
- Celebrate with your fans!
- Plan it in advance, because you want a great dance, but…
- Don’t draw a penalty for overdoing it.
The Extra Point
Blocking & Tackling
Build on your strengths
- Walking and hiking
- Fresh fruit
- Ice tea
- Kombucha (check it out!)
- Know the healthy things you love
- Do them more
- When you’re doing them, notice how much you enjoy them!
Know your weaknesses
Food & Drink
Get the Ball Moving
Hot & Cold Times
- While brushing my teeth after breakfast
- After eating and drinking way too much and feeling sick to my stomach
- When I first get home from work
- When free lunch is served at a meeting, especially if there are chocolate chip cookies
- At about 9:00 p.m. when I get a craving for ice cream, or 10:00 when I get a craving for a glass of scotch or Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Pick something you enjoy
- Do it at the same time every day
- Make it as easy as possible to do it
Get the fans into the game
- You publicly commit yourself to your goal. The behavioral scientists have shown that this is a huge deal that makes it much more likely you’ll do what you want to do.
- You recruit supporters. Your fans can help, and not just by nagging you. If they know what you’re doing, they can…
- Eat healthy things around you
- Stop offering you cookies
- Ask you how it’s going
- Eat the ice cream in the freezer so it’s gone when your 9:00 p.m. craving hits
- Join your team! How cool would it be to have 2, or even 11, people all on offense or defense at the same time?!
Weight Watcher Book
- Every week you choose to either be on offense or defense.
- In an offense week, try to lose 1 pound.
- In a defense week, try not to gain any weight.
- For special occasions, punt. Eat and drink what you want, but only for one day.
- Get good at blocking and tackling. Gimmicks and metaphors aside, if you eat healthy foods in moderation and get good exercise, you’re going to be healthier and feel better.